Monday, November 30, 2009

Our Brush With The Beach Coyote

About a month or so ago, I came home from work about 2:30 am in the morning after working the late shift. As I got out of my car and was standing there in the street locking it, I noticed an animal walking towards me on the opposite sidewalk. I stood there and watched as a coyote walked towards me and then past me, never giving me a second look as I shook my head in amazement.
This morning, like most mornings, I took my dogs for a walk along the beach, down at the bottom of the R C Harris Filtration plant or the Waterworks as it is also known as.
We were playing at the bottom of the hill, when I looked up and spotted him. It was the coyote, casually walking past us, along the top of the top of the hill. At first I thought it was someones dog running ahead of its owner, it was that big, but then I realized it wasn't. It was the infamous beach coyote, walking by us like we were part of the scenery.
The area I was in was fairly busy, even at 7:30 in the morning, with people walking their dogs and construction workers on the roof, working on the filtration plant. Even with all this action going on, it didn't seem to bother the coyote one bit, it just kept on walking like it was supposed to be there.
As quickly as he appeared, he disappeared, along the greenbelt that runs parallel to Kingston road and turns into the Bluffs on the east side of the Waterworks.
Not five minutes earlier another guy and his dog, much smaller than mine, had been walking along the same path the coyote walked along, and if they had met, I guarantee you the coyote would of made quick work of that dog.
Now not only do we have to worry about the leash police, but now we also have to keep our eyes peeled for Wile E Coyote looking to make the next little dog he sees dinner.
How's that for life in the big city?

No comments: