Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year

This is a shot of the last sun rise of 2010.
The year started off pretty good. My brother, his wife and son moved back to Canada a day before my mom's birthday and surprised her, (OK not really, but she pretended she was surprised). And then my brother's wife Daniela gave birth to their second child in March.
The wife and I took a much needed vacation to Costa Rica and had the time of our lives.
After not putting in my vacation request early enough I almost didn't make our annual boys weekend away to Watkins Glen for the Indy Car race, but it all worked out in the end and we made it to what would turn out to be the last IRL race at Watkins Glen.
And of course I made it to the Indy race in Toronto as well.
And then I turned 40 and am still trying to deal with that reality.
A little after that milestone I celebrated another, my 10th wedding anniversary, (Man, oh man, does time fly when you are having fun).
And then the year took a turn for the worse. My mom began getting sick again and in September was finally admitted to hospital after one of her countless trips to the emergency room. Her cancer had returned and it was terminal. We were told she wouldn't leave the hospital but my mom was a fighter and she did manage to make it home after a month long stay. She spent one last thanksgiving with us at home with her family by her side. She passed away November 16th.
As you can imagine, our first Christmas this year without my mom was tough. My family all made an effort to get together on Christmas Eve like we always did to celebrate the season, and then again on Christmas day for the traditional family lunch. My mom was dearly missed, but I know she was with us in spirit.
And that brings us to New Years Eve 2010. We can finally say goodnight to the year that was, filled with memories both good and bad and look to the future, so bright and full of promise. Tonight we can still dream about tomorrow and what the new year will bring.
Happy New Year everyone, all the best to you and yours in 2011.

No comments: