Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Imagine

Hard to believe that 30 years ago, John Lennon was murdered.
I was never a Beatles fan, but I can and do appreciate their music.
What makes this event significant for me is that it was one of the first major news story's that I can remember where I was when it happened.
I wasn't born when JFK was assassinated, or even a gleam in my mother's eye when Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated, nor was I around when Neil Armstrong took is first steps on the moon, but I was around when John Lennon got gunned down on the front steps of his apartment in New York city.
I was 10 years old and I was driving in the car with my mom when the news came on the radio, and I remember thinking this must be something big because they were making such a big fuss about it. This was in the days before CNN, so it wasn't until the next day when I saw it splashed all over the newspapers and on TV did I only begin to realize the significance of the moment I had experienced in the car with my mom.
Of course there would be many more significant moments in history to come, but for me, this one moment will remain one of the first that I can sit back and say I know where I was on the day that this happened.

No comments: