Sunday, December 16, 2007

Snowstrom buries Toronto

GTA Buried By Near-Record Snowstorm
It looks as if the forecasters were right on.
A big, blustery almost blizzard-like storm that on Saturday predicted a dumping of anywhere between 25 cm to 40 cm of snow across Southern Ontario came Sunday and well into Sunday it showed no signs of stopping.
The storm, which actually began in Texas days prior, moved into the province overnight and dumped about five centimetres in Toronto. Areas to the southwest got even more.
But that was just the opening number in Mother Nature's snow show. The bulk of it came down before 1pm leaving places like Toronto and Vaughan with at least 20 cm. Those in Mississauga, Oakville, Hamilton and the Niagara Region got even more, and could wind up shovelling out 30-40 cm when all is said and done Monday morning.
According to CityNews Meteorologist Michael Kuss, the downtown core had received 20-25 cm by the dinner hour Sunday.

This is 8am Sunday morning. Woke up to a dusting of snow and thought it was just another overblown snow warning.
At about 8:30 am, just as I was getting ready for work, it started to snow. This is the view from my front door.The ride to work. I almost didn't make off my own street, there was so much snow. Thankfully it was also Sunday morning, and the traffic was extremely light.My car in the parking lot at work. Approx. 12 pm.Ready to leave at 6pm. The snow is up to the bottom of my car, ankle deep. Or how about this perspective. That's about a foot and a half of snow that accumulated on those picnic tables in the span of about 5 hours.This is what my street looked like when I got home. Not only did I have to wait for the ploughs to come through before I could even get close to my house...... but then I had to dig out a place to park! This is my wife's car. Hope she doesn't need to go anywhere until summer!

No comments: