Monday, January 17, 2011

Trying Something New

As you may know from reading my blog, I am a bit of a cycling nut. In the summer I usually log about 2000 kms on my road bike. It is and has been for the past few years my only real means of getting daily exercise. But as soon as the weather turns bad and I have to put the bike away for another season, I find that my fitness level drops dramatically because I don't really do much about it in the winter.
Well this year I decided to change all that.
In October, the wife and I signed up for body boot camp, which was a 60 minute circuit training workout in a church basement with 10 other people and an instructor, 3 times a week for 4 weeks.
Surprisingly I didn't die, and even more surprisingly, I really liked it.
So when that ended, the wife and I joined a local gym in the neighbourhood. We picked this gym because it offered a wide variety of classes as well as the weight and cardio machines. And wouldn't you know it, I love going to the gym.
Funny thing is, I can't say I've actually used any of the weight machines yet, but I have been trying out a lot of the classes and I am really starting to enjoy them.
I take a 60 minute spinning class 3 times a week and a yoga once a week. And as my work schedule allows, I've also done a 9o minute class which consisted of a 45 minute barbell strength and endurance, followed by 45 minutes of spinning.
Who knew working out could be so much fun.
And the best part about it is I am starting to see some results.
Ok, so the last time I saw anything below 200 lbs was in the summer of 2008 for a week or two, but before that it had been years.
Maybe that 6 pack really is possible...
I'm just sayin' is all.

No comments: