Saturday, October 17, 2009

An Afternoon At The Track

What an afternoon!
The Bridgestone Racing Academy is located beside the famed Mosport race track, just north of Bowmanville, about 45 minutes drive from Toronto.
There was 12 of us in the class, including my buddy Tony and the first hour was spent in class learning racing techniques, or more specifically, how to take the corners at speed without crashing. Because this was an introductory class, the 12 of us were broken up into 2 sessions, consisting of 2 groups of three with a pace car for each session.
There would be no passing, just following the pace car. We had a 10 minute warm up session in 2 groups of 3 plus the pace car and then a 15 minute session in 2 groups of 3, with 3 laps behind the pace car at speed, next driver comes up for 3 laps, then the next driver for 3, repeat until the checkered flag. The pace car would accelerate and give you the proper racing line to follow, and go as fast as you could handle. I am proud to say I am the only one in my session to spin the car out not once, not twice, but three times pushing it to the limit. And let me tell you, I had a blast doing it! Not only was Tony also in this group, but I'm pretty sure we were the fastest two on the track both times.
WHAT A RUSH!
Here are the pictures from our adventure.
Putting on our race suits.
Track side.The cars we drove were Formula 2000 Reynard's. And DAMN were they FAST!Sorry ladies, this guy is taken! LOL!!Getting some last minute safety instructions.Gassing up the race cars.The starting grid.Right after our warm up session.The only sad part about this whole experience was that I couldn't take any pictures while I was driving. Believe me if I could of figured out a way to do it without crashing I would of. So, unfortunately the only pictures I was able to take of the cars on the track was of the group in the second session.

I am the Stig!!As you can see, I had a blast. And so did Tony. I would highly recommend it, it truly was a thrill of a lifetime. Now I just have to figure out a way to do it again...

No comments: