Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Green Day's American Idiot

I went to see Green Day's American Idiot last night at the Toronto Centre for the Preforming Arts.
Being a huge Green Day fan I was a little hesitant about how their music would translate onto the stage that is Broadway, but as it turns out I had no need to be worried.
I will admit that I kind of squirmed in my seat a little with the opening number American Idiot, but then quickly forgot about the fact it wasn't Billy Joe belting out the words and got into the story of the show which is built around Green Day's successful rock opera album, American Idiot.
A couple of things I really loved about this show was the stage set up, which was an industrial type backdrop with TV monitors scattered randomly all over the wall, very simple, with no major set pieces, just what appeared to be an empty stage that magically kept changing to accommodated the story. One minute it was just a wall, the next it was a window with someone hanging out of it and then it was gone, transforming into a door somewhere else. Very cool.
And the other really cool thing was one of the main characters in the show loses a leg and when he shows up without it, you would swear he actually lost it. I don't know how they did it, it left my wife and I scratching our heads trying to figure it out.


It's only here for a limited engagement, if you have the chance to see it, I would highly recommend you do so. From start to finish, this show rocked, it's broadway with a modern twist. I loved it, and you will too.
pictures courtesy of Google images

No comments: