Thursday, May 6, 2010

Google Saves The Day

I took two camera's with me when we went to Costa Rica, my 35mm Canon Rebel D/SLR and my trusty little Canon Elph digital point and shoot. I'm glad I did, because as soon as I got to the hotel, I tried to download the shots I took of our plane ride from my point and shoot and it promptly stopped working.
I had removed the memory card and when I put it back in, it kept giving me an error message that said the card was locked. I checked the tab on the side of the SD card, it wasn't loked. I tried my other SD card which had worked fine before. This too was locked. I tried to fix this in the set up menu, repeatedly, but I couldn't. This meant I could not take any pictures at all with my point and shoot. This was day one. I WAS PISSED.
This meant that all I had left was my Canon Rebel D/SLR. I wasn't going to bring it at first, but I'm glad I did and for the next two days, I used, but I didn't like it.
I tend to only use my big camera for sporting events or special projects. It's great for the Indy, but a pain in the ass for snaps on the go while on vacation. It's big and cumbersome, and you are always worried about it getting damaged. With my little point and shoot, it's use it and then throw it in your pocket and forget about it.
And this was bugging me because I knew our next few tours were going to be the kind that were just not suitable for big cameras. And that meant that I would not be able to take any pictures at all!
And then it hit me.
I should Google this!
I threw caution to the wind and went and bought myself a 24 hour wifi pass from the front desk and came back to the room to Google my problem. And in less time then it took me to type this story, Google had found the answer to all my camera problems!
How to fix a broken digital point and shoot camera with nothing more then a nail file purchased in the gift store and the wind from my lungs.
Without a word of a lie, this is the God awful truth.
Google showed me how to fix my camera, and make it work like new again.
And the best part? All in time for me to take some amazing shots of our canopy tour with my point and shoot, which I also used for the rest of our vacation.
Once my trusty point and shoot was up and running, I retired my Rebel to the camera bag for the rest of our stay and every shot I took from Wednesday on, was with my little camera.
All thanks to the power of Google and the Internet.

No comments: