Friday, April 23, 2010

Grease

The wife and I saw Grease at the Canon theatre the other night and I have to say I was kind of disappointed. How hard can it be to screw up something this well known and loved?
Apparently not hard at all.
First off, if you are going to promote a specific star in your show, say Taylor Hicks, who has only one number to sing in the entire production as one of the main reasons to come to the show, then perhaps he should actually be there. Instead we got his understudy. But I will say this, in that one particular scene, the understudy managed to steal the entire show.
And since this is really is a love story, some actual chemistry between the leads really would of helped. The guy who played Danny was terrible.
But at least they got the music right. All those great hit songs that you remember from the movie were there, too bad it sounded like a high school musical instead of an Ed Mirvish production.
The lady sitting behind me singing along to every song didn't seem to mind though. In fact, as annoying as it was, I kind of liked her voice a lot better....

No comments: