Thursday, March 27, 2008

Fight the Power

So I got a traffic ticket the other night when I was working the midnight to noon shift, (another reason to hate working the grave yard shift). In a sleep deprived state, I decided coffee at 5:30 am would be a good way to stay awake. I hoped in my car and made a dash to the nearest Tim Hortons. Problem is, from the direction I was going you needed to make a U-turn to get into the place. And as soon as I did, there was Mr. Officer waiting to take my licence, insurance and registration. Son of a Bitch! $110 and 3 points. Most expensive cup of coffee I've had in awhile. Get back to the office, tell the guy I'm working with about it and he says, "Oh Yeah, I got one of those last year in the same spot." Thanks for the tip, Jackass!
I've decided I'm going to fight this ticket. Lets see what I can do. I'm hoping for a reduction in the fine and penalty at the very least. I got the time, why not?
I head over to the traffic court division yesterday to schedule a court date, because you can't do this over the phone. You thought the Ministry of Transportation (DMV to my American friends) was where all the angry government workers were sent to work? Wrong, the traffic court office is even worse. Line up to the receptionist to decide what line you need to be in was out the door. Then you get a ticket have a seat fill out a form and you wait for the sign to flash your number and cubicle. And then the person behind the bullet proof glass takes your ticket, stamps it, puts a sticker on the back hands it back and says, "If you don't receive a notice in the mail of your court date in 6 months give us a call."
Lets see 6 months to receive the notice, then add another 6 months to the actual court date.
This should be fun. I will keep you posted...

2 comments:

amidnightrider said...

That's quite a fine for a U turn. Seems kind of excessive. What the heck happens when you hit something?

purple said...

just last week I was at an appointment that was to take an hour. I parked at a meter and put enough cash into it to cover 90 minutes, just in case. 70 minutes later I returned to find a $50 parking ticket. It turns out that at 4pm the paid parking spot turns into a no stopping zone. How convenient. I'll pay the damn thing and never park on that side of the road again.