Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Back from the land of the dead

After a week of working the overnight shift, I'm back from the dead. The company that I work for is moving, so last week was training week at our new facility. I was the lucky one who drew the midnight to noon shift. I'm not going to lie, it was a tough grind. But its over and I made it through to the other side. Here is a shot of my new home away from home.Snow forecast for today promises to snatch third place for the current winter in Toronto's snowfall record book.
With a light dusting early yesterday, total accumulation for this winter hit 189 centimetres, said senior Environment Canada climatologist David Phillips.
That locked in fourth place – ahead of the 188.9 centimetres in 1971-72.
A further 5 centimetres in today's forecast would move the current winter into third place, ahead of 1964-65, which saw 190.6 centimetres.
"(Tuesday) we will get the bronze medal," Phillips said, "and we'll be aiming for the silver."
Currently holding second place is 1949-50 with 196.4 centimetres.
The snowiest winter on record, since measurements began at Pearson airport in 1937, is that of 1938-39 with 207.4 centimetres – "the gold measure," Phillips said.
That means another 18-plus centimetres of snow must fall on Toronto if this winter is to seize top spot.
I say to hell with the record! I'm perfectly happy with fourth. Enough with the snow already. Who was the wise guy who decided to start Spring in the middle of winter?!

No comments: