Saturday, October 20, 2007

Racing News: Champ Car is back!

After almost a 2 month break, Champ Car is back for its final 2 races of the season.
After being unceremoniously dumped by Team Forsyth Racing, Oriol Servia is back. PKV Racing has replaced Tristan Gommendy with Oriol Servia this weekend in Australia because Gommendy has "unresolved business issues." Translation: he doesn't have the money to buy the ride.
Final qualifying for tonight's race, which can be seen on The Score (Rogers cable 53), starting at 11:30 p.m.
1. Will Power
2. Oriol Servia
3. Paul Tracy
4. Sebastien Bourdais
5. Justin Wilson
Will Power: "Great job by the team today, but I'm not getting too excited because it's a long race. I think the key to tomorrow is to get a good start. We have a really good race car which we practiced during our first session this morning. We practiced with full loads and everything, so I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Just have a good strategy and get it done. The last ten minutes were probably the hardest four laps I've ever done in my life. I pushed super hard because I knew we had the car to do it, just had to get the lap together. I was even on a quicker one in the last lap, but Dominguez blocked me. Qualifying is a very small part of the weekend. We've got to get the race right this time and win it."
Oriol Servia: "In the morning the car was great, even better than yesterday. The lap time came very easy. In qualifying, in my first run, I had some engine trouble. I had to change the ECU for the second run, and still was not running very well, but good enough. I had actually a good lap at the end and I just made a mistake in turn five that cost me the lap. I think Will had a tremendous lap going, and it was going to be tough to beat. We'll see. I mean, I'm very happy with the car. As I said, starting front row, it's great. It's just great to be out there and just go for the win."
Paul Tracy: "I've been here nearly every year of this race except two. Really, this is probably the biggest event of any motor racing event in terms of the show and the crowd support. And the atmosphere is probably better than any event that I've ever attended in my life. Maybe some people have seen something different than me. But, you know, they bring new race promotors and venues. They bring them to this event. This is the model that Champ Car wants to achieve. This race is just really unique to itself. I think everybody wants to have an event like this, but you just can't replicate it."
quotes courtesy of http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=12297, pictures courtesy of me!

No comments: