Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mountain biking in the Don Valley

I got a mountain bike from my wife for my birthday way back in July. And yesterday I finally took it into the bush to officially break it in, (too bad it took me four months to do it!) My buddy Tony and I went for a ride on the trails along the Don Valley. Its hard to believe, but we have been riding these trails since we were 16 years old. And the amazing thing about these trails, are that every year there is something new. Mountain bikers have carved and cleared paths, added switch backs to steep descents and built bridges over craves and rivers. It is a very technical course which requires some skill and alot of courage. One false move can result in a fall into the valley below. This time of year, the trails are awash with fall colours. I thought of taking a couple of shots while I was riding along the edge, then thought better of it. Here are some other shots from our ride for you to enjoy. Found this old bike rigged up like this beside the Don River. Looks like it is rigged up to pump water from the river. Could not find where the other end of the pipe, where the water was being pumped to.Tony checks out one of the bridges built for the bikers, most likely by bikers. Pretty sure this was not a project from the city.All these trails in the heart of the city. One of Toronto's best kept secrets. As for a review on the bike, awesome!

No comments: