Thursday, October 25, 2007

Bill "Calvin and Hobbes" Watterson

I love comic strips. They make me laugh, and on occasion have made me sad and even made me cry. There is something to be said for an art form that can fill you with so much emotion with just three panels of crudely drawn pictures. I have my favorites, such as For Better or Worse, the Peanuts, Buckes to name but a few. And for those of you who haven't already figured it out, I am a huge fan of Bill Waterson (the creator of the comic strip, Calvin and Hobbes).

Here's a collection of rare early Bill "Calvin and Hobbes" Watterson's toons from The Kenyon Collegian, his college paper from Kenyon, Ohio. They're a little edgier than the Calvin and Hobbes strips (but not as funny). Link

And check this out:
Bill "Calvin and Hobbes" Watterson has a fascinating review of Shulz and Peanuts: A Biography in last weekend's Wall Street Journal. Schulz and Peanuts is a controversial biography of Charles M Schulz, the creator of the ginormously popular strip "Peanuts." The strip's tone veered around over the years, from schmaltzy to dark, antic to pensive, and David Michaelis, Schulz's biographer, suggests that these shifts are suggestive of Schulz's own moods and demons. Waterson's commentary on this is fascinating stuff, here's the Link.

No comments: