Saturday, July 2, 2011

Biking Update

Things have been pretty busy for me these last few months. I haven't been out on the bike nearly as much as I had hoped, partly because I have mixed up my work out routine a little by adding some cardio and strength training with Jock Yoga, two or three times a week.
I finally managed to get my second club ride in last weekend, and it was a lot of fun. This time the group was much larger, which was great because I was able to work on my group riding skills. I'm happy to report that this time on our 53km Zoo Loop,
(Click on the route map, here) I managed to stay with the main pack and didn't get dropped once.
Unfortunately with my work schedule, I only get one weekend off a month and in the summer, that weekend gets fills up very quickly with things to do other then biking. I am hoping to make it to a few more rides before the end of the summer, but already I can tell you, it's not looking to promising.
On the plus side, I've been biking lots on my own, and I'm going a lot further. I found some cool new paved routes in the Don Valley, which I have been riding and exploring, (click on the route map, here). I've been mountain biking in the Don Valley for about 25 years, but I've never ridden on any of the paved trails, and there appear to be a lot of them. So look for some posts about that in the future.
And one final thought before I go.
I got a flat the other day while out on a ride in the Don Valley, miles from anywhere. Thanks to my club rides, I now carry an emergency kit. I was back up and moving in under 10 minutes. If I hadn't been carrying that, it would of been a long walk home.
And that's one to grow on...

No comments: