Sunday, July 15, 2007

Fugitives from justice


So yesterday afternoon I decided to take the boys for a walk down in the beach. It had been raining all afternoon, and the beach was completely empty. Not very surprising considering the conditions. So instead of heading to the leash free area, I decided to take a walk along the public beach. Now I have heard stories about them, but in my almost 9 years of walking my dogs down there, I have never run into the mystical leash police, until yesterday. I did not have either dog on a leash when I was stopped me. I have to say, the first thing that went through my mind was if the leash police are real, then maybe I had been wrong about Santa as well! I was given a lecture about not having my dogs on a leash, and told that I could also be fined $345 for fowling the beach as well as the $150 for each dog not having a leash. He said the city had a zero tolerance but he was going to give me a break and only fine me $150 for not having a leash for one of my dogs. Then he said that I would have to produce some ID so that he could issue me a ticket. I asked him what If I did not have any ID on me. He said then he could not issue the ticket without a name and if I walked away he could try to find out who I was and charge me with obstruction of justice. He also said that because he was a city worker he had no power to force me to take the ticket. And at that point I realized he was trying to tell me something, so I turned around walked away. His parting words to me was have a nice day. Did I learn my lesson? You bet! Who can afford fines like that! So it looks like we are now fugitives from justice and are on the run, if anyone asks, you know nothing! ;)

No comments: