Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Biking Update

I managed to get out on my road bike yesterday to enjoy what may have been the last nice day of the Indian summer that we had been experiencing. As I'm typing this, its raining outside and starting to feel like fall instead of summer. I'm not sure how many more days are left for the road bike before it gets put away for the winter. I thought today would be a good day to review my biking season.
Total distance biked this year was 1402 kms
Although I didn't bike as far or as much as I did in past years, due to adding the gym to my regular workout routine, I found my rides were longer and further when I did get out on the bike. I found new routes this year which made the riding a lot more enjoyable.
Joining the cycling club was cool too but I don't think it was for me. My schedule just didn't allow me to get out there enough to keep up with the regulars and that made it not as much fun. To ride with a crew like that you need to do it every couple of weeks or so, not three or four times in a season.I like biking because it reminds me of when I was a kid. My bike was my first real taste of freedom, allowing me to explore new places outside the neighbourhood I grew up in. As I got older it became a mode of transportation before I was old enough to drive. These days I use it as a form of exercise and I still get a rush every time I go out for a ride.
Biking can also be very humbling. You are never as good as you think you are, unless you're Lance Armstrong, which we all know I'm not. But that's also one of the reasons I like it so much. You can always do better and when you start to get to full of yourself, along comes some old guy who blows your doors off with out even breaking a sweat.
Its challenging and requires focus to achieve your goals, and there is always room for improvement.
I took the wife out along my route in the Don Valley earlier this year on her mountain bikeand then the next day on her road bike.I think she finally gets it.

No comments: