Friday, January 15, 2010

Boom 97.3

Back in the day, when I was growing up, radio in Toronto was actually pretty good. My favorite station used to be CFNY, which is known today as the Edge 102.1
It was CFNY that introduced me to great Canadian bands like The Parachute Club, the Spoons, Martha and the Muffins, Jane Sibery, Corey Hart, Alannah Myles and National Velvet, Doug and the Slugs, Men Without Hats, Images in Vouge, the Northern Pikes, I mother Earth, just to name a few.
But it was also CFNY that introduced me to bands like Depeche Mode, New Order, The Smiths, Blondie, INXS, the Pretenders, Tears For Fears, A-Ha, Nirvana, Soundgarden and the Cure. When everywhere else in Toronto and the rest of North America was listening to the mass produced and mass consumed top 40 hits, CFNY was going in the other direction, and exploring the world of alternative and new independent music.
Sadly that time is gone and Toronto has become like the rest of the North American radio landscape churning out the same top 40 songs day in and day out, sucking the life out of any enjoyment you may of had in that one song by its sheer receptiveness.
If this is enough to make you want to crash your car into the nearest telephone pole every time Boom boom pow by the Green Eyed Peas comes on --- WAIT!
I may have just the thing for you.
It is called Boom and you can find it at 97.3 on your radio dial.
I've got to say, it sounds a lot like CFNY back in the day. I have been listening since Boxing day when the Light 97.3 changed formats and became Boom 97.3 and I haven't changed my dial since. They play hits from the early 80's and 90's. Songs that I used to love and haven't heard in years. Songs that bring back flashes of memories of my life when I was growing up.
And as an added bonus, Humble Howard and Maie Potts formerly of CFNY are now DJ's there as well. Did I go to sleep and wake up in 1989?! All we need now is Dave Bookman doing the evening drive time and I would be in heaven.
What a kick!
And just for the record, it gets the wife's seal of approval as well, (so its not just me).
So if you're tired of listening to the same 10 songs over and over again on the what seams like every radio in town, why not turn your dial to 97.3 and give it a try.
I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

No comments: