Thursday, May 15, 2008

Busted!

When I got home from my bike ride this morning, I found a notice in my mailbox from the City of Toronto, or more specifically Toronto Animal Services. It was a warning for not have a dog licence for my two dogs, Calvin and Hobbes. And wouldn't you know it the guy was just up the street. Now I wasn't too upset about having to pay for the licences, all part of living in the big city and all. But what bothered me was how the hell did the City of Toronto know that I had two dogs? Especially since I have never had them licenced before.
So as I was paying for my two dog licences I asked the guy. And this is what he told me. Get this ... Last year the City sent student summer workers out all across the city to canvas the city and to knock on doors and listen to hear for the sounds of animals. Apparently in my case, when they knocked on my door, the heard both my mutts barking and made note of it. And today it was time to pay the piper.
Now like I mentioned earlier, I don't mind paying, especially when you get caught. But it just goes to show you how sneaky this city can be when it wants your money ...

2 comments:

purple said...

you're living in a police state buddy. What the hell does the city give back to you for your money? I bet if the dogs disappeared the cities spies wouldn't know where to find them. What if the barking was from my dog while I was visiting you. Damn government sticks their noses into too much of our business. Now I've probably pissed off someone who reads your comments.

Mad Mal and Hobbes (and calvin too!) said...

For the record Purple I agree with you.